Dhamma Letter No. 61
Q&A No.17 Right view 2
Q: How to obtain the right view?
A: We discussed the right view last dhamma letter. How to obtain the right view is the ‘How can we get clear eyes?’
First of all, observe oneself-- all activities of body, mouth and mind.
Observe the 3 poisons of greed, aversion, and delusion to purify the mind in order to see clearly without the influence of these defilements.
Dhammapada 1, 2
1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.
2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow
The steps of cultivating the mind to perceive clearly:
1. Observe yourself (nama-rupa: matter-spirit) as it is without putting any concept or imagination onto it.
2. Accept the differences as you see them.
3. Investigate the causes.
4. Understand the differences.
This is vipassana meditation.
Buddha said the only way to gain clarity is with vipassana (by being able to see through/beyond the distortions) which develops wisdom. (Dhamma letter no. 2: sila-samadhi-paññā)
May you develop your concentration and insight through meditation!
May you be peaceful and happy!
May all practice well and reach to Magga (道, the path of enlightenment) and Phala (果, the fruit of enlightenment)!
Edited by Euna Bonovich
If you have any questions related to dhamma & meditation, please feel free to ask. You can reach Ayya Kosalla directly at Bhikkhuni.Kosalla@gmail.com.
법에 대한 질문이 있으신 분은 위의 이메일 주소로 질문을 남겨주세요.
위빠사나명상의 마음관찰에 대한 논문을 한글 원본으로 읽고 싶으신 분은 클릭해서 다운로드 받을 수 있습니다. (네이버에 PDF 첨부)
The Korean Dhamma Letter is here 담마레터.
Bhikkuni Kosalla Vipassini resides in Mahabodhi Meditation Vihara in Arizona, USA. Donations are gratefully accepted, whether you provide needed requisites for the monastic, or offer funds. If you are inspired to donate, you may do so.
Mahabodhi Meditation Vihara: P.O. Box 27611 Scottsdale, AZ 85255-9998 Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
All donations to the Mahabodhi Meditation Vihara are tax-deductible in the United States in accordance with IRS code section 501(c)(3) EIN 92-1744707. To request a receipt for your donation, please e-mail to email@example.com.
Buddha Sāsanaṁ Ciraṁ Tiṭṭhatu!
May the Buddha’s teachings last a long time!
Bhavatu Sabba Sotiṁ ca Maṅgalaṁ ca!!
May everyone be led on the path of peace and blessing!!
Sādhu Sādhu Sādhu !